Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Easy Egg Fried Rice

I found this recipe for Fried Rice and could not wait to try it. It calls for 2 1/2 cups of white rice (brown rice can be substituted too) but the rice has to be cold. It's best to use leftovers from the day before (let it sit in the fridge at least overnight) because if warm rice is used, it will stick together and have a different texture.

When I made it, I made sesame chicken as well, but this fried rice recipe can be made to go with many different dishes, or it can be a meal by itself. I have found it is easier to slice the green onions while heating the oil in the pan. I like to use a cast iron skillet when I make the fried rice, but a non-stick pan works as well.

Before you add the eggs to the oil, use a couple drops of water to see if it is hot enough. If the water sizzles, pour the beaten eggs into the oil and use a fork to scramble them as they cook; the eggs will break up into smaller pieces. After the eggs are done cooking, push them to the side and add the cold rice. I have found that by breaking up the rice with my hands it's much easier to get it separated. When I heat the rice, I mix the eggs in with it so the eggs won't burn to the pan.

After a few minutes, all that's left to do is add the water, soy sauce, and green onions. Cook for a few more minutes, and it'll be ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment